broken but not crushed

Helping each other live successfully and abundantly in the face of brokenness.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Central Ohio, United States

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Choice

Welcome friends,

“Life is what it is - and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

That is a quote from an email I got recently from a fellow broken person and I think I know what he was trying to say. There is a level of truth here that is a little frightening to us all. Life can throw some pretty ugly curve balls our direction sometimes and there really IS little we can do about what comes our way. It is what it is, whether sunshine or rain, good times or pain, financial security or the plant closing down. Life simply doesn’t ask permission of us – nor does it ask our opinion – about what happens that is beyond our scope of influence. It happens. Period.

But I’ve given some serious thought about this and, though I confess there is a big temptation to accept this without question, there’s something that bothers me about its resolution. Sure, I agree that there are things that are simply beyond our ability to have any impact upon. The car accident; a medical malpractice; a legal attack; the store moving to Georgia; or a Mom taking the drug the doctor prescribed and finding out 5 years later it caused the birth defect. Beyond our control, outside our jurisdiction, farther that our limited reach.

But we DO have control over our reactions to these things. We can allow them to defeat or destroy us, or we can make the choice to fight with all that is in us. Winning or losing is not the question here – fighting and hanging in there is. Sometimes the battle is won or lost before we even take our stand, but is that a reason to not try anyhow? Is not life the journey and not just the destination? Is it not true that I have to look at myself in the mirror and ask, “Did you give it your best shot, or did you just fold up and give in?”

Now, I do understand that we need to choose our battles widely. For me, to constantly beat myself up over not being able to walk would be a waste of energy. But to continue to live, to strive, to win and lose, to ever challenge myself to higher goals and greater victories - with all of the challenges and failures and rewards - is my choice, and I choose to thrive, not just survive. When it’s all said and done I want my life to count. I want to have made a difference and a contribution. I choose to refuse mediocrity and leave my mark. And I encourage you to do the same.

Life might be what it is, but I CAN - and I WILL - do something about it. Will you? The choice is yours and mine – choose well!

One ship sails east and one sails west
By the self same winds that blow
Tis the set of the sail, not the force of the gale
Which determines which way they go.
-- Unknown

Set your sail and catch the wind. Bon Voyage!!!
Dwight
RevPapaD@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home