broken but not crushed

Helping each other live successfully and abundantly in the face of brokenness.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Central Ohio, United States

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Be cool!

IT”S HOT !!!

Heat index readings above 100, temperatures in the 90’s, humidity levels nearing tropical – folks, it’s HOT !!!

And I confess, that when the weather gets this blazing there is a temptation to get disagreeable. Aw, come on, confession is good for the soul. When we are uncomfortable physically we can allow that discomfort to weave its way through our minds and spirits until we are unpleasant to be around. In weather like this I’ve seen people get impatient with the checker at Walmart or Krogers and tend to fuss about every little inconvenience. Even worse, we sometimes get surly and short and gruff with those we love.

Let me put your mind at ease – these feelings are perfectly natural when the weather is nearly unbearable. That’s not to say that we need give in to them, but they are very normal. Rather, I would encourage you to figure out a way to be pleasant and agreeable. Yea, I know, that’s easier said than done, but we do need to try!

Life is not going to always be to our liking. To those of us who are broken it doesn’t take a thunderstorm or heat wave for us to be uncomfortable or in pain. And that pain can cause us to be disagreeable if we allow it. As I’ve said in previous blogs, pain tends to steal our ability to be rational. We must fight our own tendencies with every fiber in us. Sometimes we win. Sometimes the pain wins. But every morning is a new chance to make the right decisions.

And that’s the point, isn’t it. It is a choice – it ALWAYS a choice. Sure, we may have a little more to deal with than others, and the whole thing might seem to be horribly unfair, but I don’t think our heavenly Father ever gives us more than we can bear or fight through. I’ve said sometimes that I think God has a higher opinion of me than I do, but He’s God and I’m not, so I just have to trust that He knows what he’s doing. It’s a choice to trust - and then to be nice, friendly, pleasant, or cheerful.

So hang in there my friends. Be positive on purpose. Look for a cool spot – even if it’s only in your mind – and do your best to be the kind of person that lifts the spirits of those
around you. Don’t let disagreeable circumstances make you disagreeable, but rise above the circumstances until you are an example worthy of following. You know, I think it’s pretty cool to be the person who makes life better for those around you instead of being as unbearable as the weather.

So, stay cool, fellow travelers.
Dwight
RevPapaD@yahoo.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Heat? What heat? All I noticed was that it wasn't winter and there was no snow, and that made me happy!!!

I know, not the point, but worth mentioning anyway!

8/08/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home